Delegating responsibility is one of the keys to good management. Here are some principles to follow for effective delegation.
- Delegate early, never at the last minute.
- Make certain that the person to whom you delegate a task wants to do the task.
- Make it clear whether the delegation is permanent or temporary.
- Always delegate total tasks, not portions of them.
- When you delegate a task, delegate the authority and responsibility that go along with it.
- Once you delegate, don’t interfere, but make it clear that you are available for advice and assistance.
- When you delegate a complex task, demonstrate it clearly, and have staff members repeat what you did until it’s clear they understand the task.
- Review and evaluate the results and discuss them with the staff member.
- Acknowledge good performance and make sure that all criticism is constructive.